I ran MAT142 Online in F13, which is the first time our division has run an online course Of the 31 who started the class, 20 will pass (with 1 depending on the final project score). We had 5 written projects, and at the end of each project, I asked students to do a grade check which required them to give feedback on their progress and the course as a whole. There were 3 common themes that I saw from the responses:
1) Students felt projects did not reflect the learning they'd done in notes and homework.
2) Students often waited until the last minute to even start projects.
3) Project scores were considerably lower than homework and quiz scores.
So, I plan on 3 interventions for Spring 2014.
1) Edit the projects by adding a video at the beginning to describe the connection between what was learned and what they are being asked to apply.
2) Change the calendar to not give students as much free time to work on the project (since we are all creatures of habit and work on deadline)
3) Scaffold the projects more to be compleded in smaller chunks.